University Academic Advisement Center Banner

Welcome to the University Academic Advisement Center!

The University Academic Advising Center (UAAC) is here to guide you through your academic journey. The UAAC’s Academic Advisors provides academic guidance and related services to students with 0-59 credits (Freshman and Sophomore classifications). Students are assigned to an advisor based on their major. Students with 60+ credits are assigned to a faculty advisor in the major academic department.  This model is designed to strengthen the connection between students’ experience in Academic Advisement and that of their department so that they receive the benefit of faculty mentorship as well as professional advisement services.

Students can schedule a thirty-minute appointment to speak with their assigned academic advisor or “walk-in” to utilize our fifteen-minute fast-track available advisor service. Each Academic Advisor assists students with the following:

  • Developing academic and professional goals during their undergraduate college experience and beyond
  • Understanding the purpose of general education and its relation to curricula
  • Degree Mapping four-year degree plan 
  • Utilizing DegreeWorks advising/graduation audit system 
  • Identifying and assisting with resolving academic issues related to grades, academic progress, and degree completion
  • Addressing personal, social, and financial issues which serve as barriers to academic success
  • Creating an Academic Action Plan if student is having academic difficulties

We Are Here To Help

Your UAAC advsior is a key partner in completeing your academic journey. They will work with you and help you stay on track.



How do I contact my advisor for assistance?

You can connect with a member of your academic advising team through the Navigate Student mobile app, the Navigate webpage or by email. If you are having challenges connecting and you are a freshman or sophomore bachelor’s degree seeking student (0-69  earned hours), contact the University Academic Advisement Center at 601-979-2127. Additional advising information can be found on the Find My Advisor page.

How do I change or declare my major or minor?

If you are a current student, stop by your assigned academic advisor’s office to complete a form. You may consider making an appointment to discuss any requirements before entering into a specific major. Not every major requires a concentration and not every major allows for a minor.

If you are a new student beginning classes in an upcoming semester and wish to change your major, you must wait until your first advising session during your orientation experience. If you have extenuating circumstances and need to make a change immediately email

I’ve just been accepted as a new student. What are my next steps for advisement?

New students admitted for fall and spring semesters should attend New Student Orientation. Register here. During orientation, students meet with academic advisors to plan their schedules and register for classes, socialize with current and new students and learn their way around campus. 

How can I get an academic hold removed from my account?

If you see holds on your account, reach out to your advisor regarding the type of hold you are experiencing. You can connect with a member of your academic advising team through the Navigate or email them directly.  You should see hold information listed in your PAWS account. Depending on the hold, your advisor will assist you on the steps needed to remove the hold to allow you to register.

Who can assist me with my Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal (SAP) or Petition for Academic Reinstatement?

If you need to submit a sap or petition for university reinstatement, reach out to your advisor regarding the type of petition you need to complete. They can direct you to the correct form and/or steps to take. Academic advisors do not complete petitions for course reinstatements.

Why did I get dropped from all my classes?

Typically, students are dropped due to attendance, non-payment of tuition by the deadline, failure to complete or accept all financial aid documents or exclusion from the university. If you have been academically suspended, contact your advisor to discuss procedures for reinstatement. To avoid being dropped, make sure you check your student e-mail and PAWS account before the drop/add periods end.

Contact Us

H.T. Sampson Library

2nd Floor, Suite 2200

Jackson, MS 39206

Phone: 601-979-2127


Hours: M-F 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.